ABRET Neurodiagnostic Credentialing & Accreditation
ABRET encourages and promotes quality technical and clinical standards world-wide for neurodiagnostic technologists and laboratories through certification and accreditation.
ABRET is a nonprofit, 501 (c) 6 credentialing board for Electroencephalographic (EEG) Technologists, Evoked Potential (EP) Technologists, and Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring (CNIM) Technologists, Long Term Monitoring (CLTM) Technologists, and Autonomic Testing Professionals (CAP). ABRET Registered and Certified Technologists should recognize their responsibilities, not only to their patients, but also to society, to other health care professionals and to themselves.
The following principles have been adopted by the Board of Directors in order to encourage personnel to aspire to the highest possible professional practice. An ABRET Registered technologist or Certified individual shall
- Do everything in his or her power to insure that the current Guidelines of the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society are complied with in the department in which he or she works.
- Preserve human dignity, respect patient’s rights and support the well being of the patient under his or her care. The Registered or Certified person shall avoid discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, age and national origin.
- Appreciate the importance of thoroughness in the performance of duty, compassion with patients and the significance of the tasks he or she perform.
- Preserve the confidentiality of medical and personal information of a patient.
- Strive to remain abreast of current technology and to study and apply scientific advances in his or her specialty. Carry out their professional work in a competent and objective manner.
- Abide by laws related to the profession and to general public health and safety and avoid dishonest, unethical or illegal practices.
- Refuse primary responsibility for interpretation of testing or monitoring of Electroencephalograms, Evoked Potentials, Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring, Long Term or Critical Care Monitoring, and Autonomic Nervous System Testing for purposes of clinical diagnosis and treatment. Individuals who are licensed or otherwise authorized by practice standards to provide interpretation are excluded.
- Be truthful, forthcoming, and cooperative in their dealings with ABRET.
- Be in continuous compliance with ABRET’s rules (as amended from time to time by ABRET).
- Respect ABRET’s intellectual property rights.